Welcome to the Northern Virginia Community College Website

Accessibility Navigation:


State Authorization Information for Students Outside of Virginia

Online Learning at NOVA

Northern Virginia Community College is a member of Virginia State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (VA-SARA) and the National Council for State Reciprocity Agreements (NC-SARA) and is currently authorized to offer online courses in all states, the District of Columbia, and Puerto Rico EXCEPT for California.  Residents of California are not permitted to enroll/register for online classes with NOVA.

Prospective students living outside Virginia interested in degree or certificate programs that require internships, clinicals, or licensure upon graduation should contact their appropriate state licensing board regarding any special limitations on allowable online courses. Some helpful licensing information can be found at https://www.careeronestop.org/ExploreCareers/Plan/licensed-occupations.aspx. Currently, any clinical or internship requirement for NOVA online degrees and certificates must be completed at locations within Virginia.

Complaint Resolution

NOVA’s Student Grievance Process for Academic and Non-Academic Decisions is described in the NOVA Student Handbook.  It is the policy of Northern Virginia Community College to provide fair and orderly procedures to resolve student grievances. Nothing in this policy prevents a student from discussing a complaint informally with any appropriate College employee, but students must follow the specific procedures and timelines in the Student Handbook to initiate a formal grievance.

In accordance with the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement, the complaint procedures outlined in the NOVA Student Handbook are subject to oversight of the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV) in complaints arising from students living outside Virginia who are enrolled in online course(s) through NOVA Online. If an issue cannot be resolved by NOVA's internal processes, students may file a formal complaint directly with the State Council of Higher Education for Virginia (SCHEV). Grade appeals and student conduct appeals are not allowed under SARA.

Students residing outside of Virginia can find information about their state’s student complaint procedures using the NC-SARA Institution Directory.