Frequently Asked Questions
- With campus testing centers being closed, how will I take my proctored assessments?
- What technology is required for NOVA Online proctoring?
- How do I download Respondus Lockdown Browser and Respondus Monitor for the first time?
- I have an academic accommodation through Disability Support Services that allows me to use Assistive Technology for my coursework. Will it work with Respondus?
- I have been approved by my faculty member to take an assessment with an alternate qualified proctor. How can I obtain my assessment?
- Who is considered a qualified alternate proctor?
- How do I take a Math or English Placement Assessment?
The proctored solution your course uses determines which software you will use for your assessment. All software associated with NOL assessments are free/available throughout the college.
- The chief piece of hardware needed besides your computer is a functioning webcam.
Zoom Live Proctoring is conducted in the Zoom web client or application. Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor are extensions of the Canvas learning management system and accessed as part of the exam itself. Respondus Lockdown Browser is a specialized browser for taking quizzes in Canvas. It prevents printing, copying, and accessing other websites or applications during an assessment. If a Canvas quiz requires Lockdown Browser to be used, you will not be able to take the quiz with a standard web browser. Respondus Monitor is an add-on to the Lockdown Browser that records video of your a testing session and is shared with your instructor.
The link to download the VCCS Respondus Lockdown Browser and directions are located within each course.
- What is Lockdown Browser? https://web.respondus.com/lockdownbrowser-student-video/
- Use this Quick Guide for the first time Users - https://web.respondus.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/RLDB-QuickStartGuide-Instructure-Student.pdf
Complete the NOVA Online Proctor Request Form and submit it with your proctor's statement on letterhead to NOVA Online (see the Proctor Request Form for details). Please note on the form that you are requesting to take the English or Math Placement Assessment.
- Proctor requests may take up to 5 business days to process.
All students will receive an email confirmation when the assessments have been sent to the proctor.
All proctor requests must be verified. Delays in submitting your request and delays in response to the verification process with your proctor may result in missed assessments and grade penalties. DO NOT wait until the last minute to submit proctor requests.
Qualified Proctors include testing centers at an accredited college or university. Active duty and deployed military personnel may submit a proctor request for an approved military educational or test control officer. Students needing an accommodation based on a disability should contact NOVA Online for help in identifying an appropriate proctor.
In documented mitigating circumstances, a full-time faculty member at an accredited college or university may be eligible, provided we can verify their employment status and the assessments are taken at a college or university office with a computer provided by the test proctor.
Proctors cannot be a family member, employer, friend, co-worker, or someone with whom the student has any personal relationship. Proctors also cannot be an adjunct faculty member, teaching assistant, athletic coach, or student worker.
**Students requesting a testing accommodation must have a memorandum on file with NOVA’s Office of Disability Services, prior to taking assessments. Accommodations are not retroactive and will not be granted without following the process as outlined by NOVA’s Office of Disability Services. Accommodations must relate to online courses.